Achieving goals together
Ipswich Town Football Archive
Ipswich Town Football Archive - A Supporter's Choice
Lifelong supporter Russ Pope is working as a volunteer with the archive project and has selected the following items from the archive which demonstrate its range and depth. There will be opportunities for others to 'select from the archive'. Watch this space! If you would like to comment on Russ's choice or contribute artifacts or stories to the archive let us know on firstname.lastname@example.org
The entire playing staff, management team, office staff and board of directors pictured with the 1st Division Championship Trophy 1961/62. Ray Crawford and Ted Phillips (4th & 6th from left in second standing row) scored an incredible 61 League goals between them during that season. The Chairman, John Cobbold, sits proudly behind the Championship trophy while the Manager, Alf Ramsey, is far left in the dark suit.
Sergei Baltacha was the first Soviet international to play in the Football League. Signed by John Duncan in January 1989 he had already been capped 45 times by the Soviet Union. He played in the 1982 World Cup and won an Olympic bronze medal in 1980. His daughter, Elena, rose to become the women’s British number 1 ranked tennis player in 2002 and represented Team GB in the 2012 London Olympics. She will also receive an honourary degree from University Campus Suffolk in 2012. His son, Sergei Jnr. played professional football for St Mirren and represented Scotland at Under 21 level.
Commemorative Certificate presented to the club by the Football Association in 1987 on the occasion of the F.A.’s centenary. The certificate lists the clubs achievements and players that were capped by their countries at that time and while at the club.
The Ipswich Hospital Cup was first contested in the 1928/29 season when Ipswich lost 3 – 2 to Kings Lynn. The Cup was presented by Alderman W. F. Paul (former Mayor of Ipswich) to initially raise funds for Ipswich Hospital, prior to the formation of the National Health Service.
This fireman’s helmet from Skovde, Sweden was presented to the club by Swedish supporters to commemorate their visit to Portman Road. One of the more unusual artefacts in the club's trophy cabinets!
Sir Alf Ramsey’s Championship medals received for winning League Division 3 (South) in 1956/57, League Division 2 in 1960/61 and League Division 1 (now known as the Premiership) in 1961/62. Ipswich are the only club to ever have won back to back Second and First Division titles – a feat unlikely to ever be repeated.
This commemorative FA Cup Final ticket was presented by the Football Association to mark the last FA Cup Final played at the ‘original’ Wembley Stadium on 20th May 2000. Ipswich Town was the last Football League club to play and win a game at the old Wembley when they defeated Barnsley 4- 2 in the Division 1 Play Off Final nine days later on 29th May 2000.
This 1936 leather football has been signed by Michael O’Brien, the Club’s first professional manager who took charge on May 29th 1936 and went on to win the Southern League in his first season at Portman Road. The other signature visible is that of Jimmy McLuckie, the Club captain who was signed from Aston Villa.
This wonderful photograph of Paul Mariner (John Wark behind him) dangling the UEFA Cup over the Town Hall balcony was taken during the civic celebrations following the UEFA Cup win in May 1981. Look at the fans on the rooftops and up the lampposts. Can you imagine that being allowed today?
The largest trophy in the Club’s collection is this cup which was won before the start of the 1981/82 season when Town travelled to Amsterdam (where the UEFA Cup had been won only a few months earlier) to compete in the Ajax 706 tournament. Town defeated Ajax 3 – 1 before a crowd of 35,000 and Standard Liege 2 – 0 in front of 25,000 to return with this huge trophy.
Find out more about the Ipswich Town archive here.